Baking featured

STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE TRAYBAKE

05:56Meg Riley

   If you know me, then if there's an excuse to bake, I'll take it! (But let's be honest, who needs an excuse for cake?) That's why when I saw that a punnet of strawberries needed eating, what better way to get them used than with a good ol' cake. My first thought was to do a classic Victoria sponge, although I also wanted to make a cream cheese frosting, and so I took to the internet and came across this recipe from Betty Crocker HERE which I took as inspiration for this! For the cake I went with a simple vanilla traybake, and with the frosting I took this one from The Hummingbird Bakery; which is a company that I've followed for so long, and their cakes look bomb, but sadly they're based down south so I've yet to try them for myself. (@hummingbbakery) Topped with the fresh strawberries, this was such a simple recipe, but brought the house down when I gave it to the family, and even my brother loved the cream cheese frosting so it must have been a hit! See the full recipe below:




I N G R E D I E N T S

 f o r   t h e   c a k e

225g / 8oz Butter or Baking Spread (I used Stork)

4 Free Range Eggs

225g / 8oz Caster Sugar

300g / 10½ oz Self-Raising Flour

2 tsp Baking Powder

4 tbsp Milk

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

M E T H O D

   Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan / Gas 4 and grease a non-stick traybake tin, or line with baking parchment which I always tend to do. With the measured ingredients, place all in a large bowl and combine together until mixed well. Then place in the prepared tin and smooth out the surface, where you'll then want to bake in the oven for around 35 minutes. Test to see if the cake has baked through by placing a knife through the middle, and if clean then it's ready to cool. Leave the cake in the tin until cool, and then remove from the tin to cool completely before frosting. (Or else you'll end up with a melted mess!)

f o r   t h e   f r o s t i n g

300g Icing Sugar

50g Unsalted Butter (Room temp.)

125g Cream Cheese (Cold)

M E T H O D

   Beat the icing sugar and butter together slowly until combined, and then add in the cream cheese until it's completely incorporated. I used an electric mixer, and left it whisking for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. I then left it in the fridge until my cake had cooled. When the cake is ready, you'll then want to frost and add your strawberries for a final finishing touch. Enjoy!

♡♡♡

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow

CONTACT FORM