Baking

THE VERY BEST SCONES

07:09Meg Riley

   In honour of all things Wimbledon and general Britishness, I thought I would use up some fresh strawberries and bake some classic scones. These are a traditional, simple scone, that I decided to serve up with clotted cream, strawberries and a good ol' cuppa. All together one batch of mixture made 18 scones, which you can then eat fresh, or leave them to cool completely before freezing them. You can then simply thaw to room temperature and refresh in a medium-heated oven for about 10 mins. Below is the recipe if you wish to try these out, and I must say they were pretty splendid indeed (if I were to sound as stereotypically British as possible).



INGREDIENTS:

450g Self-raising Flour
2 Rounded Teaspoons Baking Powder
75g Softened Butter
50g Caster Sugar
2 Large Eggs
225ml Milk

METHOD:

1. Pre-heat your oven to 220°c / Fan 200°c / Gas 7, and lightly grease two baking trays (or lay out baking parchment which I prefer).

2. With your measured ingredients, place in a bowl the flour and baking powder, and with your fingertips rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Then stir in the sugar.

3. In a mug, I then beat the eggs with a fork and stirred in the milk as well. Gradually I then poured this mixture into the dry ingredients I set aside before, saving a little to glaze the scones later before baking.

4. Once all combined, the scone mixture should be quite sticky (Don't panic, it helps to rise better!) onto a floured surface then begin to flatten it out with your hand or a rolling pin to a thickness of 1-2 cm. 

5. Using a flutter cutter, then stamp out the scones by pushing straight through the dough, as opposed to twisting it. This allows the scones to rise evenly whilst maintaining their shape when baking.

6. Once laid on to the prepared baking trays, you'll want to glaze with the leftover milk and egg mixture, and bake for 10-15 mins. You're looking for them to be well risen and golden!

7. After baking, allow to cool and transfer to a wire rack. Serve with toppings of your choice, whether it be whipping cream, jam or fresh fruit like I did here...
















Enjoy!

♡♡♡

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I just came across your blog and I LOVE it. Will be keeping up with you for sure!! And those scones... They look so yummy!! Love it.

    If you have the time, would you like to check out my blog? I just started and I really could use every bit of advice!
    https://dilarabosak.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you have such a beautiful name! And I would love to check out your blog!

      Delete

Follow

CONTACT FORM