Life

MY SUMMER READING LIST 2016

05:35Meg Riley

   If you've been reading this blog for a few years, then you'll know that every year I'll put together a little reading list for myself over the summer holidays. This year I'm back again, this time with some old faves, as well as a few newbies to add to my collection. You may be sick of seeing the same books on these posts, but I can assure you that I'll only re-read a book if I absolutely love it, so these old timers definitely have my seal of approval. Although, if you do have any new, similar recommendations for novels or plays, then I'd love to hear them in the comments below!



LOVE, ROSIE BY CECELIA AHERN

   Possibly one of my favourite films of 2014/15, this novel was once Where Rainbows End, however after the film released it was re-named. This story focuses on Rosie Dunne and her best friend Alex Stewart, as we see their friendship through it's strengths and struggles during their teenage and adulthood years. The writing style of this is a little different to your standard novel, as it uses a mixture of text messages, letters and emails to transcribe their story, which is both hilarious yet emotional. 

LOOKING FOR ALASKA BY JOHN GREEN

   Another oldie here, this is this classic by the famous-amongst-teens John Green. I just began this the other day and realised that I'd never actually finished the whole thing, so I thought it was only right to start again and finally complete it. I've heard they're actually producing a film adaptation of this book, similar to Paper Towns and The Fault in Our Stars - So erm, John if you need an Alaska Young then I'd be more than happy to audition! (PLEASE)

A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE BY ARTHUR MILLER

   I guess I could also class this as an oldie, as even though I haven't read this properly in years, I did study it back in my high school English Lit days. After studying a novel, play ect. I find that it can sometimes take the fun out of actually reading the play, especially if you then have to do coursework or an exam based around it - I don't think I'll ever read Of Mice and Men again to be quite honest. But since finding this among countless school books during a clear out, I thought I would add it to my collection and give it another chance, as this is definitely a classic.

AFTER JULIET BY SHARMAN MACDONALD

   Now this is very much a newbie in my collection, and is a play based around the timeless Romeo and Juliet, after their death and focusing on the characters left in the aftermath. To me this seemed like such an interesting plot as Romeo and Juliet is probably my favourite play from Shakespeare, and so with this acting as a kind of sequel, I'll definitely be looking forward to Macdonald's interpretation. This was a part of the National Theatre Connections festival too, which I've been a part of for the past two years, so it intrigues me even more! During the past college year I was also considering one of Rosaline's monologues within the play for an audition, but since I never got to perform it I may reconsider as an audition piece again this year. 

♡♡♡

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow

CONTACT FORM