Baking

CLASSIC CHOC CHIP COOKIES

04:20Unknown

   If you didn't know already, I love to bake, mostly in the evening when I need to simply unwind or take my mind off college work. I've been baking since I could stand on a chair at my nan's and bake shortbread and butterfly cakes, and ever since I've been experimenting with different recipes. However for my first 'proper' baking post on this blog, I thought I would keep it classic with a chocolate chip cookie recipe. I've been obsessed with cookies lately, with even one week baking a different type of cookie everyday after college - Yeah, I was procrastinating big time. But for this recipe it's pretty simple and sticks to a standard recipe from the one and only Mary Berry, a holy name in our household.


INGREDIENTS:

100g (4oz) Softened Butter
75g (3oz) Caster Sugar
50g (2oz) Light Muscovado Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Large Beaten Egg
150g (5oz) Self-raising Flour
100g (4oz) Chocolate Chips - Or any chocolate you like!



WHAT TO DO:

1. Begin with prep, so you're going to want to pre-heat your oven to 190°c / Fan 170°c / Gas 5, as well as lightly greasing your baking trays. Here I used two trays and some baking paper, which if you don't have, I would definitely purchase! It's super easy, mess-free and you can pretty much cook everything on it.

2. With your measured ingredients, you're going to want to start by mixing your butter and both of the sugars in a bowl, and beating these until thoroughly blended. I usually leave my stand-mixer on for a few minutes until it goes a slightly lighter colour.

3. I then crack the egg into a small glass and beat this along with the vanilla extract, where I'll add the egg to the sugar mixture a little at a time, and beating well between each addition.

4. The last ingredients are then flour and chocolate chips which end up thickening the mixture, resulting in a cookie dough you're probably more familiar with. For the chocolate chips I also tend to stir these by hand to get an even spread of chocolate. 

5. Once the mixture's ready, I then spoon a good tablespoon of the mixture onto the trays, usually fitting about 6 on each to leave enough room for them to bake evenly. Mary's Baking Bible then suggests baking for 8-10 mins until they are golden in colour, and so I tend to leave them in for the longest suggested time, however these did turn out slightly cake-y in texture perhaps because of this. After this you'll want to leave the cookies to cool for a few minutes, and of course then you can tuck in!












   All together I ended baking about 11 cookies, however they were quite big, and if you were to spoon a teaspoon of mixture on to the trays then I'd say you could get a good 20 cookies with one batch. If stored in an air-tight tin you can also keep these fresh for a week, that is if you haven't eaten them all already; which in our house is pretty likely. If you did like this post it would be great to know some other recipes to try out for you and share! So leave a comment below and I'll be sure to reply...

♡♡♡

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Follow

CONTACT FORM