Life

MY SUMMER READING LIST 2015

06:16Unknown

   I began doing this type of post last year (sadly I can't link it as I've changed my blog URL since then) but to keep with the tradition I thought I would share with you some of the books I've planned on reading during my summer holidays. Although I must say that most of these are plays, since being a theatre / drama student, I thought it would be beneficial to get reading as much as I can. 

   The first one here is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Dale Wasserman. I've always heard of this as a novel and my dad loves the film, so I thought I would finally get round to giving the play a read and see why it's so popular. From what I grasp from the blurb though, it focuses on a man who serves some time from prison in a mental institution, where he makes quite the impression. I've also just read the words 'frontal lobotomy' which if you've been watching season 5 of Teen Wolf then you'll know why I'm feeling a bit squeamish even thinking about it.


   Next up is Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern, but has now been changed to Love, Rosie after the film adaptation was released. Personally I'm a massive fan of this film, as I love Lily Collins and Sam Claflin as actors and the story is so funny yet emotional - There were too many feels the first time watching this fo' sure. That's why I bought the book and started this as soon as I bought it, but for some reason I took a reading break when my college exams were happening, so now I really want to pick it back up.


   Back to plays, I also have Be My Baby by Amanda Whittington; which I studied in college for a short time before breaking up for the summer holidays, and so I thought I would carry on reading it in case we go back to it in September. I've actually already read this now, and found it to be such a great and hilarious play, whilst still having an important historical message of women in the 1960s and the whole Mother and Baby Home systems that were happening. The character Queenie in particular is my all-time fave, and I would love to play her if we do get the chance to perform this next year. 


   And finally, the last play I have here is Road by Jim Cartwright, a man who I've heard a lot about but actually haven't had the chance to read any of his plays. The plot to this seems pretty simple, as it takes place over one drunken night, and so far I'm loving the fact that the audience are completely immersed into the story - Even from queuing outside the theatre to see the play itself, as children are supposed to play up and down the streets. This play in particular is Cartwright's theatrical debut, plus as he writes for us northerners, I'm pretty sure I'll love it.


And there you have my summer reading list for 2015! If you have any other recommendations for any books I'd love to hear them down below too, thanks guys.

♡♡♡

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow

CONTACT FORM